Voice: The Narrative That Guides – The hard work of finding our own voice
- Think through all the voices that have informed you throughout your life.
- Write down each and every person who has influenced you for good or bad.
- Identify what their narrative for your life was and how it has shaped you.
- Make an honest assessment of which of those voices have had a dominant role in shaping your internal narrative of yourself.
- Ask a few close friends to hear how you understand your story, and ask them to reflect back to you if your assessment resonates with them.
- Take time to study what the Scriptures say about who you are, and think about what your life would look like if you embraced this narrative as your own.
- Focus on what it means to be created in God’s image.
- Reflect on God’s declaration that you are wonderfully and marvelously made.
- Place into your narrative that God knew you before you were born and calls you out with intention and purpose.
- Decide who you want to become: What is the story you want to tell through your life?
- Write a declaration of who you are!
- Share it with at least one friend who will celebrate your new life narrative.
Source: The Artisan Soul: Crafting Your Life into a Work of Art by Erwin McManus